As the parent or guardian, you must notify the superintendent of the public school district where your family resides about your intention to home school your school-age child or children. Ohio law requires all children between the ages of six and 18 to attend school. Notification must be received no later than the first week of the start of the District's classes or within one week the date on which the child begins to reside in the district or within one week from the child's withdrawal from a school. Failure to notify the school district of residence the family is homeschooling its child or children will result in truancy. The notification to the school district must include:
1. Your qualifications to home school (see above list of requirements)
- Confirmation that you will provide a minimum of 900 hours of instruction that must include the following subjects:
Language, reading, spelling and writing;
- Geography; history of the United States and Ohio; and national, state and local government;
- Physical education;
- Fine arts, including music; and
- First aid, safety and fire prevention;
2. A brief outline of the curriculum for the current school year;
3. A list of textbooks, correspondence courses, commercial curricula or other basic teaching materials that you plan to use; and
4. Your signature.
A sample notification form is provided at right.
Please email the above-listed information to [email protected]. Feel free to call us at 614-491-8288 with any questions.