As you know, effective Wednesday, November 18, Groveport Madison Schools will return to our 100% remote learning model. The last day of in-person attendance for Group B students was Friday, November 13, and the last day of in-person attendance for Group A students will be Tuesday, November 17. Students whose parents want them to begin online immediately can do so, but they must log in to their classes following their regular schedule to be counted as "present" for the day.
We wanted to provide additional information that you may need or find helpful over the coming weeks.
DISTRICT AND SCHOOL OFFICES REMAIN OPEN
To maintain the support services you expect, the District's and schools' offices will remain open following our regular schedule, so feel free to call with any questions. If you need to come to any of our offices, you must wear a mask and follow posted safety protocols when on District property.
If your child has forgotten something at school, please call the school’s office to make arrangements for the item(s) to be picked up.
REPORTING ABSENCES, ILLNESS, AND POSITIVE COVID-19 CASES
Even though schools are closed, we must continue to report student and staff illnesses to Franklin County Public Health. If your child has COVID-like symptoms or has been diagnosed with COVID-19, we need to know your child's name and symptoms, when symptoms were first noticed, where your child was when he/she developed symptoms and the date on which a positive COVID diagnosis was determined. Please also leave your name and a number where you can be reached for follow-up.
PICKING UP STUDENT MEDICATIONS FROM THE SCHOOL
Schools are not permitted to store medications when we're working in a 100% learning mode. Medication cannot be sent home with students, so please contact your child's school right away to arrange a time for you to pick-up medications.
GRAB & GO MEAL SERVICE
December Meal Service Schedule
Please note the following dates for Grab & Go Meals prior to winter break:
- Wednesday, December 16 - Last date for regular meal distribution, 11:30 - 12:30 at all 13 locations (students to get three breakfasts and three lunches)
- Friday, December 18 - Last date for evening meal distribution at GMHS, 4-5:00 p.m. (students to get one breakfast and one lunch)
- Monday, January 4 - Meal distribution resumes on its regular schedule
Meals will not be distributed during winter break.
Breakfast and lunches will be distributed from 11:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays at the following locations:
Groveport Madison School Sites *
- Asbury ES - 5127 Harbor Blvd., Cols.
- Dunloe ES - 3200 Dunloe Rd., Cols.
- Glendening ES - 4200 Glendening Dr., Groveport (serving Glendening ES & MS South)
- Madison Elementary School - 4600 Madison School Dr., Cols.
- Middle School Central - 751 Main St., Groveport (serving Groveport ES & MS Central)
- Middle School North - 5474 Sedalia Dr., Cols. (serving Sedalia ES & MS North)
- Groveport Madison H.S. – 4475 S. Hamilton Rd., Groveport
Mobile Neighborhood Locations *
- Berwick Plaza - 2745 Winchester Pike, Cols.
- Cruiser Park - 4677 Bixby Rd, Groveport
- Elk Run Park – At the end of Hendron Rd., Groveport
- Giant Eagle Shopping Center – 3841 S. Hamilton Rd., Groveport
- Jerry Garver YMCA - 6767 Refugee Rd., Canal Winchester
- Independence Park - 3065 Dewbourne Dr, Reynoldsburg
- Spangler Park - 2748 Spangler Rd, Cols.
Evening Meal Service *
Free meals also will be offered on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m., at Groveport Madison H.S., 4475 S. Hamilton Rd., Groveport.
* All Grab & Go Meals are served outside of the school building or the neighborhood location. Look for yellow “Grab & Go Meal” signs or our Groveport Madison School bus indicating the meals' actual distribution location.
Each Monday, students will get two days of breakfast and lunch, and on Wednesdays, students will get three days of breakfast and lunch. On Friday evenings, students will get two days of breakfast and lunch.
All meals are paid for by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and are free to youth 18 and younger through the end of the 2020-2021 school year.
STUDENT CHROMEBOOKS AND TECHNOLOGY-RELATED ISSUES
If your student’s computer isn’t working properly or you need assistance in any way, please call our Technology Department at 614-836-4789, or email them at [email protected]
. They will get back to you right away to figure out if the problem can be corrected remotely or if they need to arrange a time for you to come to the office and switch out equipment.
Students derive many benefits from participation in sports and other activities. However, our greatest responsibility is to keep students healthy and safe. While permitted to do so, Groveport Madison Schools will continue to offer the following winter athletic activities:
- Boys Basketball
- Girls Basketball
- Boys Basketball
- Girls Basketball
- All athletes will have their temperature checked upon arrival for practice and games.
- Locker rooms will only be utilized to change clothes for home and away teams.
- Teams will bring their own water.
- Teams will not return to the locker room at halftime. All players will remain in the gym.
- The length of pregame and halftime has been shortened.
Swimming and Bowling
- Home events (Groveport Recreation Center) – Only one swimmer per lane will be permitted at all times.
- Away events – We will follow the rules given to us by the facility we are visiting.
- We expect to get updated direction regarding protocols for student wrestlers.
Off-Season Athletic Activities
All off-season activities are canceled until after the winter holiday break. During the break, we will reevaluate the situation and determine when conditioning and other activities may resume.
To ensure our students' safety, we have temporarily suspended cheerleading until after the winter holiday break. During the break, we will reevaluate the situation and determine when practices and other activities may resume.
Spectators at Athletic Events
To reduce the risk to our students and their families and ensure
there are players eligible and healthy enough to field teams,
we are temporarily suspending spectators
from attending athletic events.
Broadcasting of Games Via Facebook Live
The middle and high school athletic departments also will stream games via Facebook Live. More information will be forthcoming.
- All in-person group practices and performances have been temporarily suspended until after the winter holiday break. During the break, we will reevaluate conditions and determine when group activities and performances may resume.
At the March 5, 2020 State of the Schools Celebration, only a week before COVID threw our lives into unanticipated chaos, we unveiled our new belief statement. As I think about where we are today and the unique opportunities before us, I am convinced our new belief statement is even more powerful now than when I first shared it with you. The statement reads, "We believe all Cruisers are valuable. We will unconditionally SERVE, SUPPORT, AND INSPIRE. Therefore, every Cruiser will maximize their unique PURPOSE, POTENTIAL, and POWER to produce the results they want.”
Our staff is committed to our students' success and will do their absolute best to ensure students get what they need, academically, socially, and emotionally over the coming weeks.
This is undoubtedly one of the most stressful times in all of our lives. There's nothing that could have prepared us for what we've dealt with for the past eight months. While there are many uncertain things, I know that Cruisers are tough, and we can take on any challenge – especially when we work together.
Thank you for your continued support of Groveport Madison Schools. Please
wear a mask, stay safe, and have a Happy Thanksgiving.